Prep/Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 2 (375g packets) Carême All Butter Puff Pastry, defrosted
- 1 cup chocolate spread
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten.
For the Streusel topping
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup plain flour
- 30g unsalted butter, cubed and cold
- ¼ tsp sea salt flakes
- ¼ tsp ground ginger.
For the Streusel spiral:
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan-forced (200°C conventional).
- Unroll one sheet of pastry, place it onto a lightly dusted work surface, and cover it with half of the chocolate spread, leaving a 2cm border around the edges.
- Roll the pastry sheet up into a roll, starting at the longest edge. Take a sharp knife and cut the roll vertically down the middle to expose the layers of pastry and chocolate spread.
- Lay the two pieces of cut pastry with the cut side facing upwards, then gently twist the two pieces over and under each other to create a long braid. Gently pinch the top and bottom of the braid to secure it. Repeat steps 2-4 with the second sheet of pastry and the remaining hazelnut spread.
- Connect both braids together to form one long braid, then place it into the tart tin in a wreath shape, pinching the ends together well to secure it.
For the Streusel topping:
- In a medium bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, salt and ground ginger. Cut the butter into the mixture with the tips of your fingers until coarse crumbs are formed.
- Brush the pastry wreath with beaten egg and sprinkle the top with the streusel.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes, or until the spiral is golden and the streusel is crisp.
- Serve hot or cold with a dollop of ice cream or double cream.
To complete the dish: Serving instructions