- To make the white sauce, melt butter and add flour in a saucepan. Cook on medium heat until the flour turns thick and comes away from the side of the saucepan.
- Pour milk in flour a little at a time and stir constantly. Mixture should thicken and become thick. Stir constantly taking care not to let mixture lump, set aside off from heat until ready to use for the soup.
- Next, to make the onion soup, place 3 tablespoons butter and sliced onions into another saucepan. Cook at low to medium heat stirring until soft and clear but not brown.
- Add chicken broth or stock, chicken bouillon cubes, bay leaves, pepper, and stir until completely heated through.
- Lastly, mix both soup white sauce and onion soup. White sauce will be thick because it has been removed from the heat. Simmer on medium low heat until all ingredients are blended, stirring constantly.
- Turn temperature to warm and let cook for additional 30 minute to 45 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!