- Place black and white peppercorns and Szechuan pepper on a medium sized baking tray. Place the tray in the oven at 180°C and roast for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place all ingredients in a food processor and grind to a fine powder. Sift the mix through a sieve once and grind coarse pieces a second time.
- Cool the mix to room temperature and store in an airtight container.
- Place Core Marinade Ingredients in a food processor and blitz to achieve a very smooth paste, ensuring no chunky segments remain.
- In a jug, mix lemon juice, lime juice and fish stock. Pour half of this liquid mix into the food processor. Blend until smooth. Add remainder of the liquid mix and blend until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Use a spatula to fold the Ceviche Marinade into the mayonnaise, until both are well combined.
- Remove all fatty tissue from beef. Use a sharp knife to slice beef into 3cm-thick chunks, then cut to form small 3mm x 3mm cubes.
- Place beef cubes in a metal bowl and season with smoked chilli powder, pepper mix, salt and olive oil. Taste and adjust ingredient levels as desired.
- Add brunoise shallots and mix until both ingredients are evenly combined.
- Place 130g of tartare mix on a flat dish. Use the concave side of a spoon to spread the tartare mix evenly to cover the centre of the plate.
- Pour Ceviche Marinade into a piping bag. Cut 5mm from the tip of the piping bag to allow for an even flow of Ceviche Marinade. Pipe dots of marinade on tartare mix in a sporadic manner (between 8 and 10 dots, each approximately 5mm in diameter).
- Sprinkle a few baby capers on top of the tartare mix and place potato chips in a random formation